Last Updated on
Sometimes you need a quick test of your pool’s water to find out how it is doing. You don’t even need something complicated or fancy.
The best pool test strips are the answer. These tools are easy to use and provide accurate results without a lot of variances.
But which one should you buy? If you don’t have time to go through all the strips on the market today, this article is for you.
Here we will review the top 10 pool test strips for 2019 and give you a buying guide you can follow when choosing one.
Pool Test Strips – Top 10 Picks Reviews for 2019
What is the best pool test strips? We have the ten most effective models on the shelves today.
1. AquaChek 551236 7-Way (100 Count) Test Strips
AquaChek 551236 is a 7-way strip that measures total hardness, pH, total alkalinity, bromine level, total chlorine, and cyanuric acid. You get 100 pieces to last you all summer to ensure that you don’t visit the market any time soon.
It is also easy to use the strips because you only need to dip them in water for a maximum of 15 seconds. Besides, there is a color chart comparator that you can reuse on the side of the bottle.
The strips are accurate, and you can bet on getting great results that can ensure you maintain your pool the right way.
- Up to 100 testing strips
- Measure different variables
- Takes a short time to get the results
- A bit expensive
2. Leisure Time 45010A Chlorine (50 Count) Test Strips
Maintain your pool water by ensuring that it is balanced by using the Leisure Time 45010A Chlorine Test Strips. It is a 4-way test strip that measures chlorine, bromine, calcium hardness, alkalinity, and pH.
In the package, you get a minimum of 50 strips that you can use the whole summer without needing to get more. There is also a chart on the bottle, which is easy to read and can help you to interpret the results.
Another important thing about these strips is that they are fast and straightforward to use, and you get an accurate result. These units are compatible with ozone and chlorine sanitizers, making them versatile models.
- Simple test strips
- Provide an accurate result
- Compatible with ozone and chlorine sanitizers
- Impossible to match
3. AquaCheck Yellow (50 Count) Test Strips
These are other strips from AquChek, but this time they come in yellow color to give a different perspective. They are one of the easiest to use strips as you only need to deep them in water and get the results instantly.
One thing you should note is that they give you accurate results that you can depend on to maintain your swimming pool better. Moreover, they are the ideal pool test strips for testing free chlorine, stabilizer, pH, and total alkalinity.
You only need to wait for 30 seconds to get the results and act accordingly. In the pack, you get up to 50 strips that make it possible to test your pool all summer.
- From a reputable brand
- Test various chemicals
- Provides result within 30 seconds
- Limited in what they test
4. JNW Direct Pool and Spa (100 Count) Test Strips
JNW Direct Pool and Spa Test Strips are the best models for testing your home swimming pool or spa. They can test for a maximum of six parameters, including total alkalinity, pH, free chlorine, bromine, total chlorine, and total hardness.
Another thing is the ease of use of the strips as you only deep them in water and gets the results instantly. The usage instructions are provided to ensure that you use the strips the right way and you can compare the color with the chart on the bottle.
There are up to 100 strips in every package to give you more value for your money and a chance to continue testing all summer. With these tools, you can be confident of getting bright, clean, and safe water every time you take a swim.
- 100 test strips
- For salt and freshwater pools
- For pools, hot tubs, and spas
- Some come expired
5. JNW Direct Spa (100 Count) Test Strips
You cannot go wrong if you choose the JNW Direct Spa Test Strips for your hot tub, spa, or pool. It can test up to five variables which ae free chlorine, total alkalinity, bromine, pH, and total hardness.
It is one of the easiest to use test strip you can get on the market today, and you get instant accurate results. Furthermore, there are clear instructions that can guide you when using the strips to ensure that you do it the right way.
Like most models in this review, it comes with a color chart at the back of the bottle. And you can use the test strips to test salt and freshwater pools, spas, and hot tubs.
There is also an excellent e-book that explains what every result means.
- Keeps your pool clean and healthy
- E-book for interpretation
- Accurate results
- Can be confusing to use
6. Poolmaster 22212 Smart Test 6-Way (50 Count) Test Strips
The 22212 Smart Test Strips are ideal for maintaining healthy water with balanced chemicals in your spa or pool. It quickly measures six factors – pH, alkalinity, total hardness, total chlorine, bromine, and free chlorine.
That means you can test for total hardness to prevent your pool from getting scaled on the floor and walls. You can instantly dip the strips in water and get results within seconds, and they are always accurate.
You use color to determine the reading, and the strips come in a container that is easy to store. There are 50 strips to last you the whole summer.
- Easy to use
- Measures up to six variables
- Comes in a great container
- Only 50 strips per packet
7. AquaChek 552244 6-in-1 Test Strips
One thing that makes AquaChek stand out is the fact that it provides quality pool test strips that you can depend on. They produce results within 15 seconds, and they are always accurate no matter when or how you test.
One package contains a maximum of 50 strips that can last for a whole summer if your pool doesn’t need constant testing. Another thing about the pieces is that they don’t require any assembly to use them.
The strips are quite economical and can test a maximum of six parameters to leave your pool well-take care of. These variables are total alkalinity, total hardness, pH, free chlorine, total bromine, and total chlorine.
- Gives results within 15 minutes
- Measures up to six parameters
- No assembling
- Doesn’t test for acidity
8. Hot Spring Portable Spas Freshwater Test Strips
Other test strips that can ensure you maintain your swimming pool are the Hot Spring Portable Spa Freshwater Test Strips. As the name suggests, you can carry them with ease, and they are meant for use in freshwater facilities.
These strips don’t lose their accuracy even when they get old as they are made to last for years. Moreover, they are easy to use and sturdy enough to prevent any breakage that often occurs with most strips.
They also come in clear instructions that can enable you to use them even if you are a first time user.
- Works very well
- Color pads remain intact
- Consistent and accurate readings
- Not quite technical
9. HTH Pool Test Kit 6-Way (30 Count) Test Strips
The HTH Pool Test Kit tests up to six variables, including total alkalinity, pH, bromine, cyanuric acid, total hardness, and chlorine. These are the primary readings that can keep your swimming pool clean and ready for use.
The package comes with up to 30 strips to give you value for the money and ensure that you stay for a while before you visit the market. You can visit the brand’s official website to learn how to use the strips and even know the readings.
And they are easy to use by just dipping them in the water at about 18 inches below the surface. Then you hold them for 20 seconds before comparing the color with the one on the canister.
- Provide value for money
- Measures acidity
- Easy to use
- Only 30 strips
10. Frog @ease Test Strips
The Frog @ease Test Strips are one of the best tools you can get for testing your swimming pool. They provide you with the efficiency you require to have a clean swimming pool, and they last for long.
These pool test strips are made using the latest technology to ensure that you have an easy time when using them. You only need to dip them into your swimming pool, and they will change color to give you the result.
What more, they can test for various variables such as pH, total alkalinity, brome, and others to provide a complete pool review. You can compare the color with the bottle’s colors to know what to add in your facility for it to be balanced.
- Quick results
- Provide perfect reading
- Straightforward and simple to use
- Color gets cleared
How to Use Pool Test Strips
Swimming pool test strips are more comfortable to use when compared to test kits and can provide accurate reading of pool’s chemicals. They are also recommended for use in spa and hot tubs.
Although every strip brand might provide a guide on how to use them, the process often involves following these steps:
- For the best results, leave the pool’s pump running for about 60 minutes before you take the test.
- Immerse the tools in the water for five to ten seconds, then remove them and wait for 15 minutes for the color to charge (follow the brand’s instruction).
- Compare the color of the strip with the coloration chart located on the bottle.
- You can also use an electronic checking device to compare the colors.
- Keep the remaining strips in a dry area and keep an eye on the expiration date.
How to Choose the Right Test Strip
Selecting the right strips from the different models online and in-store is a big challenge. That is why this section looks at some of the factors that you should consider when buying one.
- User Reviews – The best way to know if a product can work is to go through previous user reviews and comments online. These strips are used around the world by different people, and you can be sure that they post all kinds of comments online.
- User Ratings – It is not only the comments and reviews that can indicate if a strip will be useful but also the ratings. You can find different scores and know the one that can work the best.
- Features – Another thing that you should consider when buying pool test strips is the features they come with. Some come with instructions, others come in great containers, while others have their unique characteristics.
- Ease of Usage – You shouldn’t get a test strip that can be hard to use. Also, choose a brand that comes with user instruction to ensure that you get an easy time when measuring your pool’s chemicals.
Pool Test Strips FAQs
Here are a few questions and answers that can help you know more about these strips.
Q: How Long do Test Strips Last?
A: Check the date at the bottom of the bottle or the top of the cap.
Q: Can Test Strips be Used in Saltwater?
A: Yes. They are strips that work for both pure and saltwater.
Q: How Often Should I Test My Pool?
A: You should test it at least once per day.
Q: Can Hot Temperature Affect the Results?
A: No. Temperature doesn’t affect these strips.
Q: How Accurate are Pool Test Strips?
A: Some models are entirely accurate, especially those from reputable brands.
Get the best pool test strips for your swimming pool to ensure that you keep an eye on its chemicals. There are a lot of models that you can choose from in the industry today.